There are a couple ways to go about whitelisting an email address or domain but we'll use the official method first:
- Go into your account's Filters and Blocked Addresses settings through the settings button on the right of your mail, then the Settings option.
- Scroll down until you find the Create a new filter link. It's right above the section for blocking email addresses.
- In that new window that pops up, type the email address you want to whitelist in the From field.
To whitelist a full email address in Gmail, type something like email@example.com, of course replacing the email account and domain name with the one that corresponds to what you want to whitelist.
To whitelist a domain in Gmail, just exclude the account, like @example.com. This will apply to any email address on the "example.com" domain.
Tip: If you're wanting to whitelist more than one email address or domain, you don't have to repeat this step for each one. Instead, put a break between the separate accounts, such as firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you don't want to adjust any of the other options for a more specific filter, go ahead and click the link called Create filter with this search >>.
- Place a check in the box next to Never send it to Spam.
- Click Create a filter to save the changes.
The other option for setting up whitelist filters in Gmail is to open an email from the sender that you wish to always keep out of the Spam folder, and then:
- With the conversation open, click the small down arrow to the right of the sender name and timestamp.
- Choose Filter messages like this.
- The email address will automatically populate in the filtering options. You can then continue through with the steps from above, at Step 4.
Unblock a Sender in Gmail
To remove a sender from the blocked senders in Gmail and have future messages from the go to the inbox again instead of spam (unless, of course, a rule catches them or Gmail identifies them as junk for other reasons):
If you have a message from the sender you want to unblock at hand (you can search for one—including in the Spam folder—easily, of course, in Gmail):
- Open a message from the sender you want to unblock.
- Click the More (▾) button in the email’s header area.
- Select Unblock "Name" from the menu that has shown.
- Click Unblock under Unblock this sender.
If you do not have a message from the sender you want to unblock readily available:
- Click the Settings gear icon (⚙) in Gmail.
- Select Settings from the menu that has appeared.
- Go to the Filters and Blocked Addresses category.
- Make sure the sender you want to unblock is checked under The following senders are blocked..
- Click Unblock selected senders.
- Now click Unblock under Unblock selected senders or Unblock this sender.